However, winter here, so it’s time for the western subterranean termites to swarm and find new homes in California. These termites swarm in the middle of the day, typically after rainfall, during the fall, winter, and spring. You can find these termites in every city and county throughout the state. They cause countless dollars in property damage yearly and are incredibly hard to eliminate. Luckily, the pest management professionals here at Millennium Termite & Pest are here to help! We have the education, experience, training, and equipment necessary to handle any termite infestation, big or small. Therefore, if you happen upon a swarming colony of western dry wood termites (or any other species), please don’t hesitate to call us. Remember, the faster you get your termite problem handled by professionals, the better off you’ll be.
The Several Different Termite “Seasons” in California
As we mentioned earlier, several species of termites exist throughout California. Moreover, each species swarms and reproduces at other times of the year. Here is a list of the various termite “seasons” in the state:
- Western Subterranean Termites: Western subterranean termites swarm daily, typically after rainfall, every year from fall through spring.
- Pacific Dampwood Termites: The Pacific dampwood termite swarms around dusk between August and October.
- Arid-Land Subterranean Termites: These termites swarm in the daytime during the spring and fall.
- Nevada Dampwood Termites The Nevada dampwood termite swarms around sunset in spring at higher elevations and during the summer in coastal areas of the state.
- Western Drywood Termites These termites swarm during the day between September and November. However, western dry wood termites sometimes swarm earlier in the year in the northernmost portion of the state.
- Desert Subterranean Termites The desert subterranean termite swarms at night from July through September.
- Desert Drywood Termites: These termites swarm at night from June through September.
As you can see from the list above, California has no real “off-season” for termites. Due to the high population of different species, it’s always wise to keep termite prevention and eradication at the top of your California homeowner’s to-do list.
What Can You Do to Help Prevent an Infestation During the Winter California Termite Season?
As a home or business owner, you’ll naturally want to do everything possible to help prevent a termite infestation (especially during this time of the year). To make that task a little bit easier, our pest management professionals have put together a list of things you can do to help prevent an infestation during the winter termite season in California. That list is as follows:
- Keep your foundation and crawlspaces as dry as possible
- Get rid of any wood in contact with the ground
- Consider removing mulch from anywhere near wood structures
- Never store firewood (or lumber of any kind) against your foundation or inside crawlspaces
In addition to those four things, you can always enlist the services of our team of termite control professionals. We can help you devise a highly effective termite prevention plan, including the pretreatment of wood structures with pesticides, to help reduce your chances of a severe termite problem. Furthermore, suppose you still have an infestation after enlisting our help. In that case, we’re also the go-to company for termite extermination. So, Millennium Termite & Pest is always the company to call regardless of your termite needs.